Posts Tagged ‘goal’
2011 was the first year I tracked my reading and it was around this time last year that I set the goal of reading an average of 3 books per month in 2012 (for a minimum of 36 books). I’m happy to report that I exceeded that goal and read a total of 46 books! Check it:
You can learn more about the titles on my Goodreads page. According to 5-star ratings, my favorite books were:
- O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
- Pretty Tilt by Carrie Murphy
- The World According to Garp by John Irving (also the longest book I read last year)
- Betting on the Muse: Poems and Stories by Charles Bukowski
- The Silent Woman: Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes by Janet Malcolm
- The New Fuck You: Adventures in Lesbian Reading by Eileen Myles
- Driftwood Valley: A Woman Naturalist in the Northern Wilderness by Theodora Stanwell-Fletcher
- Surfacing by Margaret Atwood
- Nature I Loved by Bill Geagan
- Sisters of the Earth: Women’s Prose and Poetry About Nature by Lorraine Anderson
- Strike Sparks: Selected Poems, 1980-2002 by Sharon Olds
- Kindred by Octavia Butler
I read over 11,000 pages! What did you read in 2012? Any reading goals or books you’re looking forward to reading during 2013?
I don’t typically do a lot of goal setting, but there are some key things I want to accomplish in 2012 so I thought I’d post them here. If nothing else, it might help me stay accountable now that these have been released beyond my mind’s eye:
- Read more for pleasure (35+ books)
- Learn Drupal or die trying (okay, that may be a little extreme…)
- Successfully defend my MA thesis & graduate from West Chester University
- Complete Five Wishes/living will and collate all paperwork relating to benefits/insurance in case of an emergency
- Pay off my remaining student loan and save $10,000
- Apply for promotion & tenure
And some guiding principles:
- Go outside
- Do good work
- Help others
What are your goals for 2012? Do you separate personal/professional goals or lump them all together?
Image by http://dryicons.com
Here are the 24 books I read in 2011, which averages out to two books per month. The books came from a variety of places, including libraries, random trips to Target, book sales, borrowed from friends, thrift stores, used book stores, gifted to me… The entire list can be viewed with a brief comment or two, but you can also ask me about any one in particular if it looks intriguing! I think this is the first time I’ve tracked my reading in any consistent way (although I’m sure I forgot one or two). My goal for 2012 is to increase to an average of three books per month (36). Oh, and all of these were read in print, not digital format. Who knows if that will continue now that I have an iPad…
Highlights would have to be reading the Harry Potter series (finally) and The Hunger Games series (finally – which I subsequently gifted to my younger brother). I also really loved the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Bossypants, North to the Night, and Beneath the Window.
What did you read in 2011? Any reading goals or books you’re looking forward to reading during 2012?